Thursday, March 17, 2011

AND THEN THERE WERE TEN!








I thought 6 swallowtails from last summer would be it, but I actually have had ten hatch in all. They have been exquisite. This butterfly box has been so great. We have had many winter storms this year, and I can't tell you how many times the box was blown over, CRASH* BAM... and these little babies were determined to hatch! If you live in the area, you can get a large butterfly house/box,(as in the picture) or a smaller size, from one of my favorite places to shop, The Garden Gate in Gulf Breeze. Emily is so knowledgeable, and helpful. She carries everything you need to be a successful butterfly gardener. And the bonus is, hummingbirds are attracted to many of the same flowers!

Last summer, my cousin, Laurie called in a tizzy, because she had a swallowtail caterpillar and wasn't sure what to do. By mid summer she did! I went to The Garden Gate and bought some butterfly books for her, a butterfly box, and plants and herbs. She is now Mother Earth in Montgomery...not really- but had fun watching the evolution take place. If you have never tried it, it really can be fun.

I promise the bluebirds are coming.one family has moved in, but I have something exciting to share next!
Until then......

2 comments:

  1. I missed this post but love seeing it now! Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I saw your Eagle early this afternoon checking out the lake!

    ReplyDelete