Thursday, September 15, 2011

When the bluebirds are gone, the hummers come home!

You could almost follow a calendar of birds, and know what month you are in.  From Bluebirds to Purple Martins, Goldfinches to Hummingbirds.  They all follow the rythym of the seasons!  luckily for me, a Backyard Bird Nerd, I'm rarely bored with backyard activity.

It had become so miserably hot here, I was just about to write a new post of the Dog Days of Summer, when Labor Day weekend arrived.  We, here in Pensacola, were under just about every imaginable weather watch you can have: Tropical Storm Watch, Tornado Watch, Tornado Warning, Flood Watch. Riptide Alert, Jellyfish Alert...you name it, we had it.  The good news is that with four days of rain and thunderstorms, we  finally had some nice Fall weather.  And the best thing about Labor Day Weekend, is we had FOOTBALL!!!!  The stormy weather was great for a cold beer, hot dip, and SEC FOOTBALL!
Oh yes, my husband and I also celebrated our 33rd wedding  anniversary.

I will post some summer pics later, but today, I wanted to show you some of our seasonal friends! Here are some of my favorie feeders.








You may recall, I had a male juvenile humming
bird stay at my house all winter.  Well, he has acquired some new friends.  I have taken a few pics over the last couple of days, and will do my best to choose -not too many! These creatures fascinate me, and they fuss at me when I'm in their favorite spots!  Just in case you don't know the 
formula for nectar, I'll put it here. It is super easy to make, and you don't need food coloring.  Food color has no 
nutritional value.


1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar


that's it.  1:4 ratio. I make a huge pitcher of it,and keep it in the fridge, so it's always handy!





























So there you have it...it takes a lot of patience/boredom to catch these beauties!  I hope you enjoyed them...i'm sure you'll see more.  I also have had a lot of monarch laying eggs the kast few days.  I' ll post about that, the eggs, and hopefully the stages of the monarch,,,it's incredible.
















































No comments:

Post a Comment